Monday 6 May 2013

It's mainly about the Allotment - getting there!

We're finally getting on top of our allotment - I'm not going to lie, it's been graft.  When we took it on last autumn it was severely overgrown with nettles, grass and dreaded doc leaves with roots three times longer than the plant.  If anyone has taken on a plot or bit of garden that had been badly overgrown I'm sure you can empathize that it does grow back much quicker.

The bottom of our garden was like this when we moved in some years back, it took a good three years to get it to a state where we could do a little light weeding to keep on top of it.  I keep telling myself I'm saving a fortune on gym fees with all this digging and pulling.

Husband heard a tip on the radio saying to put in bigger and higher growing plants was a good way to start growing on a plot like this rather than sew seeds.  I agree.  I kinda already had that plan in mind - perhaps by accident.  All my direct sewing has gone in the garden.

I'm quite excited to see signs of life from my Spinach Beet plants in the garden this week.  We had a great crop a couple of years ago - just kept picking the leaves and using them in salads etc.   I hope this does as well....

The peas are busy sprouting in pots on the window sills, runners planted indoors as well as courgettes  pumpkins and marrows.

I received some raspberry seeds last week which I've also planted inside.  We already have a few plants in the back garden that do really well and three or four healthy looking plants on the allotment.  We all love raspberries so I hope these grow for me.  This is a complete experiment, lets hope I don't manage to kill them before I've started!

Oh, my friend popped this on my Facebook wall tonight, I think it's such a wonderful idea.  I'm dusting the sewing machine off tomorrow to try and make a dress for 'Dress a Girl Around the World'.  What a great idea:
http://dressagirlaroundtheworld-va.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/how-to-make-best-dress-ever-tutorial.html

No comments:

Post a Comment